Saturday 5 July 2014

The Wildenstein Cuttings and Leaves

Ten years ago I made a concordance of the numbering systems used for referring to the cuttings and leaves in the Wildenstein Collection at the Musée Marmottan, Paris. The web now gives me an easy way to share it, so I have uploaded it to academia.edu.

While updating it today I found an image online of Georges Wildensten, who formed the collection, taken by Paris Match in 1963, the year of his death:
source
One can make out several of the items in his collection from this photo, both on the shelf in front of Wildenstein:



and reflected in the mirror in front of him:




With the eye of faith, and after enhancing the image somewhat to make it darker, one can also make out the cutting that he is examining:

EDIT, 11 July 2014. 
I've recognised one more:
This one is easier to see if one flips the mirror-image to make it the right way round:

No comments:

Post a Comment

** PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME IN YOUR COMMENT **

I may ignore and delete anonymous comments