Sunday 12 December 2010

Two 19th-century collectors' marks

I have just spent a day at the Chester Beatty Library, Dublin.














A list of Western MSS still in the library between the auctions in 1932-1933 and 1967-1968 was drawn up in 1961 by Ludwig Bieler, and is available in the reading room as a typescript.

This alerted me to some boxes of cuttings and leaves, of which I was unaware: W. MS. 165. Several items had one or both of a couple of owners' ink-stamps with which I was unfamiliar. Here are the relevant entries from Lugt:


Fritz Hasselmann


There is a copy of the auction catalogue at the National Art Library at the V&A Museum:
Sammlung von alten Pergament Miniaturen; Handzeichnungen; Aquarellen alter und moderner Meister; I. Abtheilung. Helbing, Munich, 1892 Nov. 24.

Ed. Schultze















There is a copy of the auction catalogue at the National Art Library at the V&A Museum:
Kupferstiche und Holzschnitte alter und neuerer Meister. Helbing, Munich, 1901 Feb. 7-15.

No comments:

Post a Comment

** PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME IN YOUR COMMENT **

I may ignore and delete anonymous comments